German is a drag
Right now, the drag scene in Vienna is experiencing a period of real blossoming on the one hand, but it’s also under threat, as the right wing is trying hard to frame drag as a danger. Despite these attempts to push drag down, drag is becoming more and more mainstream and, as a result, more and more visible, and with it, the language of drag.
In this episode I talk to Sassica Rabbit and Ryta Tale, two drag artists from Vienna. We talk about what drag is, what language is used to describe it, and about the drag scene in Vienna, as well as their own experiences as drag performers in Austria.
Small heads up: There is mention of some offensive language and slurs.
You can also listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
About this episode's guests
Ryta Tale is a drag queen in Vienna. She has been doing drag since 2021.
She is the host of her own podcast, "Your Tale: Wiener Drag Artists im Gespräch mit Ryta Tale". She also performs at and hosts a range of drag events, such as karaoke nights, Club Couleur, and more (see link below).
Podcast: "Your Tale"
Links to events and more: linktr.ee/rytatale
Photo © Sarah Baum (Instagram: @sarahvbaum)
Sassica Rabbit is a drag queen in Vienna. She has been doing drag since 2016.
She is the co-founder of The Lipstick Ball, a yearly competition for drag newcomers, which has also led to regular performances throughout the year (Haus of Lipstick) and a yearly drag calendar for good causes. She also performs at and hosts other drag events, such as Madame Tussi (drag bingo at Madame Tussauds Wien). See link below.
The Lipstick Ball - Instagram: @thelipstickball
Links to events and more: linktr.ee/sassicarabbit
Photo © Uschi Straight (Instagram: @uschi_straight)
Links, information and resources
- Petition link: "Drag is not a crime"
- Petition started by Candy Licious - Instagram: @candy_licious._
Slurs and offensive language in the episode:
- Tunte / Schwuchtel ('faggot')
Online dictionaries and websites referenced (no affiliations):
- Wikipedia article referenced: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragqueen
- List of LGBTQ+ terms (Stonewall): https://www.stonewall.org.uk/list-lgbtq-terms
- Transgender terminology, incl. "transvestite" (National Center for Transgender Equality): https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/Transgender_Terminology.pdf
- Information on the New York ballroom scene (Wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_culture
TV shows referenced:
- Queen of Drags
- RuPaul's Drag Race
- Eurovision Song Contest
- The Lipstick Ball (Vienna)
- Tuntenball (Graz)
- Tuntathlon (Vienna)
This episode was first released on 18th April 2023.
YOTE theme music by Vincent Tone (PremiumBeat.com)